Friday, August 13, 2010

Saying Goodbye/America Is A Cheater

Today was my last day in Kentucky and I went out to celebrate (in a bittersweet way) with Dr. O'Leary, Dr. Newman and Kabby. We spent the majority of the time listening to Dr. O'Leary talk about America's immoral tendencies--specifically how they affected food import and export--all because Kabby ordered a salad with Parmesan cheese (which, I later found out, is the name given to Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese imitators). I had no idea what he was talking about, so he explained something called the Protected Designation of Origin (PDO), which protects the names of regional foods under European Union law (for example, real champagne could only be produced within the Champagne region of France, however, the United States allows certain domestic producers to use the name champagne under limited circumstances). Apparently both Kabby and Dr. Newman had heard this all before, because they just smiled and said he probably only cared because he was Irish. All I know is that I'm really going to miss working with these people every day, because they're all completely awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment